DINOSAUR RIDGE IS HIRING!
Join our team and you will become part of an exciting and part of an exciting team working to teach people about a world-famous paleontology site and National Natural Landmark.
Public Bus Tour Guide and Driver
Reports to: Gift Store Manager
Status: Part-time, Year-round
Start Date: Immediately
Who we are:
Located on Jefferson County Open Space, Dinosaur Ridge is one of the most important paleontology sites on Earth. Our globally iconic site has been ranked by paleontologists as the #1 dinosaur track site in the nation, and one of the most important in the world. Dinosaur Ridge draws 235,000 annual visitors to our outdoor museum to view 300+ dinosaur tracks still preserved on the sandstone slope. Dinosaur Ridge was also the site of the first Stegosaurus discovery on earth and was designated National Natural Landmark in 1973. The Friends of Dinosaur Ridge is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1989 with the purpose of preserving the fossils on Dinosaur Ridge and educating the public about the natural history of the area. Our mission was later expanded to include the fossil sites at Triceratops Trail in Golden, Colorado.
Who you are:
In the role of a Dinosaur Ridge Tour Guide/Bus Driver, you will be responsible for facilitating fun and exciting outdoor tours and telling the story of this unparalleled National Natural Landmark in metro Denver. Our tour guide/bus drivers are the primary point of contact with guests of Dinosaur Ridge, and act as stewards to educate and entertain our visitors as they learn about and view the paleontological and geological treasures at Dinosaur Ridge. Dinosaur Ridge tour guides/bus drivers will be provided with a full training schedule and must commit to delivering the detailed and approved key messages at each of the designated educational sites on the Ridge in a professional and enthusiastic manner. You will be expected to provide a safe and enjoyable tour experience for each person on your tour in all kinds of weather.
The job of tour guide/bus driver requires full knowledge of Dinosaur Ridge sites, history, and emergency procedures; a genuine ability to get along with guests and coworkers; and an enthusiasm about nature and dinosaurs! Candidate must possess strong people skills and excellent verbal communication, the ability to tailor tours to specific audience needs and questions, and a passion for interacting with people of all ages.
We anticipate this position will work 2-3 days per week as needed and will allocate their time approximately:
- Providing 45-minute guided bus tours for up to 14 guests at a time to our three main sites – 75%
- Working in our gift store or covering breaks for other tour guides, gift store clerks, and snack shack staff – 20%
- Attending meetings or staff trainings – 5%
- Age 21+
- Able to pass a criminal background check
- Valid Colorado Driver’s License and verifiable safe driving record
- Ability to safely operate a 15-passenger bus, primarily on a restricted access road
- Able to work and walk around outside in a variety of weather conditions
- Available to work 2-3 shifts per week, including weekends and holidays
- Confident public speaker
- Solid understanding of scientific concepts
- Team-oriented and consistently demonstrates positive values in work habits
Admired, but not required Qualities:
- Degree or coursework in geology, biology or other science fields
- Experience working in education, giving museum tours, or guiding outdoor programs
- Passion for the mission of Dinosaur Ridge, interest in paleontology, geology, and/or science
How to Apply
Equal Opportunity Employer
Friends of Dinosaur Ridge is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, volunteers, and guests. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on job requirements, individual performance, and business needs.