Garden Park Field Trip | August 15, 2020 | Register
On this field trip, you’ll head to Canon City’s Royal Gorge Regional Museum & History Center. At the Museum, Kathleen Eaton, the museum educator, will provide an intimate tour and bring out specimens for attendees to handle and touch. Dan Grenard, a former geologist with the Bureau of Land Management Andrew Smith will be joining us on our journey to the quarries and dinosaur footprints. The museum will have just opened a NEW exhibit that we can take a look at! Also, dinosaur tracks. Always a cool thing to see!
Please note: For the health and safety of all participants, everyone will be required to wear masks each trip. Hand sanitizer and gloves will be provided. Participants are responsible for their own transportation.
Tour Guide: Dan Grenard
Dan Grenard worked as a geologist for the BLM and also BOR (reclamation) from 1979-2009 in Denver, Vernal Utah, and Canon City. He spent the last ten years working in abandoned mines. Dan developed an interest in Garden Park National Natural Landmark and has been writing a historical biography of Marshall and Amanda Felch the last few years. Marshall was the dino digger here at the Marsh Felch quarry.
August 15, 2020
- 10:30 AM: Go straight up to Skyline Drive to see Nodasaur footprints in the Dakota Hogback (still in the shade)
- 12:00 PM: Back to town – eat lunch
- 12:45 PM: Museum tour
- 2:30 PM: Marsh Quarry trail Marsh-Felch Quarries (1-1.5 mile round trip) Fingers crossed for clouds and breezy.
- 3:30-4:00 PM: Finish and head back home
$69.00 – Member – Register
$79.00 – Non-member – Register
Limited to 10 attendees.
Attendees must drive themselves. Maps and locations will be provided the week of the trip
What to pack:
- Notebook / Pen
- Sturdy, closed-toe shoes/boots (required)
- Sun Protection (hat, sunscreen, etc.)
- Long pants/sleeve shirts (suitable for fieldwork)
- Mask/Face covering
- 18+ – Must complete waivers
- 16 to 17 – Must complete waivers and have a guardian signature
- 15 and under – Must be accompanied by a guardian
Check out the full 2020 Travel & Field Trip schedule.