Picket Wire Canyonlands | Postponed to 2021
On this field trip, you’ll explore the Comanche National Grasslands, home to the largest dinosaur track site in North America. Over 1,900 prints in 130 separate trackways extend across a quarter-mile of bedrock along the banks of the Purgatoire River.
Dr. Martin Lockley, the famous paleontologist who worked on mapping our footprints on the Ridge, will be leading Dinosaur Ridge’s field trip to Picket Wire. We are incredibly thankful for his guidance and expertise! Once onsite, Lyn Neve will be our Picket Wire tour guide. Lyn is an ex-school teacher with a science background.
This trip is truly a unique experience — everyone will learn a lot and enjoy the backroads of Colorado!
Please note: For the health and safety of all participants, everyone will be required to wear masks each trip. Hand sanitizer and gloves will be provided. Participants are responsible for their own transportation.
The 2020 event has been canceled.
Saturday, October 10
5:30 pm – Arrive La Junta (Must be checked in by 5:30 pm)
6:00 pm – Dinner provided
Sunday, October 11
8:00 am – Morning Meeting
9:00 am – Picket Wire Tour
12:00 pm – Lunch Break (Dinosaur Ridge to provide sandwiches, fruit, chips, and protein bars)
4:00 pm – Field Trip Ends
$180.00 – FODR Member
$215.00 – Non-member
*Money for 1 breakfast
Limited to 10 attendees.
Price is based on double occupancy at the hotel.
Holiday Inn Express, La Junta, CO
13 rooms are reserved, all rooms have 2 queen beds
Attendees to provide their own transportation to La Junta and on the Tour. Picket Wire does not allow more than 15 vehicles in the canyon and recommends 4WD/AWD. Carpooling on the Tour may be necessary.
Important to note:
- 60% of the tour is driving, so the Picket Wire tour guides can not emphasize enough how important it is to be prepared. Your vehicle will need plenty of gas and a good spare tire.
- Weather will be dry and sunny in October, so those with asthma or other major health problems should prepare beforehand, or rethink the trip.
What to pack:
- Notebook / Pen
- Sturdy, closed-toe shoes/boots (required)
- Sun Protection (hat, sunscreen, etc.)
- Money for 1 breakfast
- Long pants/sleeve shirts (suitable for fieldwork)
- Mask/face covering
- 18+ – Must complete waivers
- 16 to 17 – Must complete waivers and have a guardian signature
- 15 and under – Must be accompanied by a guardian
Check out the full 2020 Travel & Field Trip schedule.