Dinosaur Ridge 30th Anniversary Celebration
Friends of Dinosaur Ridge is celebrating 30 years of education and preservation at Dinosaur Ridge. Join us for a long weekend packed with events for all ages, April 25-28.
30th Anniversary Events
Drinks and Dinos: Dinosaur Ridge 30th Anniversary Movie Night
Thursday, April 25, 6:30 pm – Alamo Drafthouse
How real was Jurassic Park?
26 years after the release of Jurassic Park, fans are still debating about lines like: “T. Rex doesn’t want to be fed, he wants to hunt. Can’t just…suppress 65 million years of gut instinct.” Join Dinosaur Ridge and a panel of world-renowned dinosaur experts on April 25 to uncover the facts and the faux-pas behind this classic dinosaur flick. Drs. Bonnie and Louis Jacob, and other expert panelists will lead a Mystery-Science-Theater-style tell-all about this cult classic film.
Drinks & Dinos is on Thursday, April 25 at 6:30 pm at the Alamo Drafthouse (7301 S. Santa Fe Dr., Littleton). Doors open at 6:30 and the movie starts promptly 7 pm. Tickets are $25/person and include admission to Jurassic Park with commentary, Q&A discussion after the screening, popcorn, and a non-alcoholic drink.
Walk With a Scientist Tours
Friday, April 26, 10 am-4 pm – Dinosaur Ridge Main Visitors Center
Have you ever wondered about the science behind the discoveries and fossils at Dinosaur Ridge?
In celebration of our 30th anniversary, Dinosaur Ridge is giving you access to the experts. Join us for a 2-hour guided walking tour of Dinosaur Ridge with scientists who have spent their careers studying the geology, paleontology, and climatology of Dinosaur Ridge. You may choose from four expert guides:
- Dr. Martin Lockley: Dr. Lockley is a Welsh paleontologist who discovered the dinosaur courtship scratches and the first raptor track found in Colorado at Dinosaur Ridge.
- Kermit Shields: Kermit Shields received his geology degrees and spent his professional career with Mobil Oil in a variety of production and exploration jobs in both domestic and international offices. After retiring, he became an active volunteer at both the Denver Museum of Nature and Science and at Dinosaur Ridge. He has been on the Friends of Dinosaur Ridge board of directors since 2006.
- Dr. Libby Prueher: Dr. Prueher is a volcanologist and a climate and sustainability consultant and founder of LibbyTalks.com. She is a professor at multiple colleges in the Denver area, teaching sustainability, climate change, environmental science, and geology. Did you know that in addition to being a great dinosaur site, Dinosaur Ridge is also a great place to study past environments and learn about environmental and climate change? This walk will examine what we have learned about past environments and climate from the study of Dinosaur Ridge and how volcanoes have helped us determine the ages of the rocks at Dinosaur Ridge.
- Norb Cygan: Norb Cygan has 65 years of practicing geology around the world and 25+ years as a guide at Dinosaur Ridge. He enjoys working with visitors and students of all ages.
These exclusive tours offer you private access to scientists who can give you insider secrets about all of the sites at Dinosaur Ridge. Tours are 2 hours in length and will depart from the Dinosaur Ridge Main Visitor Center at 10:00, 10:30 and 11:00 am AND 1:00, 1:30 and 2:00 pm on Friday, April 26. Each tour is available for $20/person and is limited to 15 people. Tours will start at the west gate of Dinosaur Ridge and walk back forward in time towards the east gate. Tours will depart rain or shine.
Spotlight on Science Technical Talk
Friday, April 26, 7 pm – Origin Hotel (Golden, CO)
World-famous scientist Dr. Louis Jacobs will shine a spotlight on the details of his 50+-year career as a vertebrate paleontologist and his newest exhibit at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History, “Sea Monsters Unearthed: Life in Angola’s Ancient Seas,” an exhibit telling the story of their Angolan discoveries, opened on November 9, 2018, in the Smithsonian Institution’s U.S. National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C. This exhibit is unique in its story, in the role of students who pieced much of it together, and in the way it was produced cooperatively.
Dr. Jacobs was formerly Head of Paleontology at the National Museums of Kenya. He has conducted extensive fieldwork in Malawi, Cameroon, Mozambique, Ethiopia, and now in Angola. Beyond Africa, he has conducted fieldwork in Costa Rica, Mexico, Pakistan, Yemen, Mongolia, Antarctica, and the US. Dr. Jacobs is Professor of Geological Sciences and President of the Institute for the Study of Earth and Man at Southern Methodist University in Dallas. Jacobs has served as the President of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontologists.
Join us for a one-hour technical talk with a 30-minute Q&A session in the luxury of the new Origin Hotel ballroom. Tickets are $20 for FODR members; $25 for non-members; $10 for students with valid student ID.
Community Carnival in the Cretaceous
Saturday, April 27, 11 am-3 pm – Dinosaur Ridge Main Visitors Center
Join us for fun, games, and food—dinosaur style!
Bring the entire family out to Dinosaur Ridge for a day of carnival fun. Kids of all ages can enjoy rock climbing walls, inflatable slides and bounce houses, and midway games with dinosaur-themed prizes. Admission to the carnival is FREE! Purchase 22 tickets for $20 in advance or $1/ticket at the carnival. There will be FREE offsite parking at tomorrow’s Community Cretaceous Carnival. Parking is located at 2850 S. Rooney Road with a free shuttle to take you to the Dinosaur Ridge Main Visitor Center.
30th Anniversary Gala
Saturday, April 27, 6:30 pm – Origin Hotel (Golden, CO)
Join us as we celebrate 30 years!
Friends of Dinosaur Ridge is proud to announce our 30th Anniversary Gala on April 27at the Origin Hotel in Golden. Friends of Dinosaur Ridge has worked to educate the public about and preserve the treasures at Dinosaur Ridge for three decades. In that time, millions of visitors have visited Dinosaur Ridge (230,000 visitors in 2018 alone!) This Gala is a chance for Friends of Dinosaur Ridge to thank the people, businesses, and foundations that have supported this world-class destination for so long. The evening will be packed with dinner, a presentation by our special guest John Fielder, live music from Chris Daniels and the Kings, and dancing.
· Time: 6:30-10 pm
· Location: The Origin Hotel Ballroom
· Seated dinner and 2 tickets for beer, wine, and soft drinks are included with each ticket.
· Recommended attire for this event is cocktail attire.
· Tickets are $150/ticket for non-members; $135/ticket for FODR members. Table sponsorships are available.
Sunday, April 28, 10 am – Ship Rock Grille (Morrison, CO)
On Sunday, April 28th, FODR is hosting a select, invitation-only Founders’ Brunch. One of the climactic events of the weekend, we will take the time to toast our successes, reminisce, enjoy each others’ company and think about the future.
Contact Michelle Davis, Dinosaur Ridge Development Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on this invitation-only event.
Celebrating the Past; Building the Future Exhibit Opening and Volunteer Speaker
Sunday, April 28, 1 pm – Dinosaur Ridge Discovery Center
Join us for the ribbon cutting of our newest exhibit: “Celebrating the Past and Building the Future: 30 Years at Dinosaur Ridge.”
30 years ago a small group of concerned citizens pulled together to protect and save a world-class dinosaur destination. This new interactive exhibit will feature photos, audio clips, and video footage spanning three decades of volunteerism, friendship, and fun that made it all possible. Several of Friends of Dinosaur Ridge’s founders and long-time staff will gather to share personal stories and reminiscence about their days in the dirt at Dinosaur Ridge. Enjoy light appetizers and drinks and find out how you can help build the future by volunteering. This event is FREE and open to the general public.
- Soft opening 12:30
- Ribbon cutting 1:00
- History of Volunteering at Dinosaur Ridge by John Dolson 1:30
- Historical Tour with Founder 2:30
This event is FREE! You do not have to register to attend, but we would like to have a rough headcount for refreshments.
The Tempel Family
John and Debbie Dolson and Family
John and Diane Robinson
New West Physicians
Daisy’s Front Porch Flowers, Events, and Creative Studio
Interested in sponsoring one or all of the 30th-anniversary events? Click here to download our 30th Anniversary Sponsorship Brochure. Please contact Michelle Davis at email@example.com for more information!