Dinosaur Ridge is open.
You can safely roam and run, learn and debate, and enjoy a National Natural Landmark in Denver’s backyard. In order to accommodate the State’s new order and promote good public health, masks are required on buses, on walks, and in the Exhibit Hall (agest 3+). Social distance must be maintained. Learn more about our new protocols and processes.
Our tour guides are specially trained in the geology and paleontology of Dinosaur Ridge, and offer a unique and personalized experience. They love to answer your questions!
Guided Bus Tours
NEW: Private Bus Tours
A 45-minute guided tour of the Ridge and admission to the exhibit hall Trek Through Time. Your expert guide will interpret the dinosaur tracks and bones, local history, and geology while you view the real fossils. Masks are required (ages 3+).
Mixed Group Tour –> 4-6 guests | $10 kids/$15 adults | daily
Small Group Private Tour –> up to 7 guests | $90 flat fee | to guarantee a reservation (call 303-697-3466 – 1-7 days before tour)
Large Group Private Tour –> up to 10 guests | $125 flat fee | to guarantee a reservation (call 303-697-3466 – 1-7 days before tour)
Guided Walking Tours
Walking tours are contingent upon a minimum of 2 registrations.
- The Full Walking Tour is a guided tour of the entire Ridge, both East and West sides. A volunteer guide will interpret the dinosaur tracks and bones, local history, and geology while you view the real fossils. This is a one-way, 1.25 mile tour and will take 1.5-2 hours. Walkers are transported via a socially-distanced van shuttle to their starting point. Admission to the exhibit hall Trek Through Time is included with your ticket. Masks are required (ages 3+).
- Full Walking Tour: $10 per person | 4-6 guests max | Fri-Sat: 9:30am | Sun: 10:30 am | Reservations by phone: 303-697-3466
- The Walk & Talk Half-Ridge Tour is a 60-75 minute walk departing from the Main Visitor Center to the dinosaur track site on the East side. Your volunteer guide will interpret the dinosaur tracks, trace fossils, and geology along your route. Admission to the exhibit hall Trek Through Time is included with your ticket. Masks are required (ages 3+).
- Walk & Talk Tour: $6 per person | 9 guests max | Sat 9:30am | Sun 10:30am | Reservations by phone: 303-697-3466
- Walk with a Geologist is a 2.5-hour walking tour of both East and West sides led by a professional geologist. In addition to the interpretation of the dinosaur track and fossil sites, it includes an in-depth discussion of the geology and changes of the Denver area through time. Walkers are transported by van to the west side of Dinosaur Ridge for a 1½-mile walk back. This tour is designed for participants aged 16 and up. Masks are required. Admission to the exhibit hall Trek Through Time is included with your ticket.
- Walk with a Geologist Tour: $15 per person | 9 guests max | Sat 9am* (*twice monthly, see schedule) | Online preregistration required
NEW: Audio Tour
A 2.5 mile, self-guided tour of the Ridge. The Audio Tour includes admission to the exhibit hall Trek Through Time.
- Audio Tour: $6 per download to phone
Exhibit Hall Trek Through Time
Walkthrough diverse environments at different prehistoric dates learn about Colorado’s ancient environments. Masks are required (ages 3+).
- Exhibit Hall Entrance (a la carte): $3 per person
If you belong to an educational or research institution and want to take a guided tour of Dinosaur Ridge in a vehicle (bus or otherwise), please call at least one week ahead to make reservations. We cannot always guarantee vehicle access to the Ridge but will make every attempt possible to allow access. If we cannot allow your vehicle on the Ridge, then your institutional vehicle will still be able to park outside Dinosaur Ridge’s gate and your group may walk on Dinosaur Ridge.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
What will I see on a guided bus tour?
Guided bus tours feature stops at the Bones Bed, the Brontosaur Bulges, and the Dinosaur Track site. You will experience a brief talk at each site and see and touch the fossils.
Your tour includes a 45-60 minute educational experience typically enjoyed most by our guests ages five and up. Many younger guests also enjoy placing their hands in the dinosaur tracks and touching dinosaur bones on our tours.
Though our public tour buses are not available to school groups or other large tour groups, you can coordinate a scheduled tour for your group or school on weekdays.
When can I get on a guided bus tour?
Dinosaur Ridge’s tours operate at different times depending upon the season. Use the chart below for information on our hours of operation and tour departure options.
|Visitor Center (Gift Shop)||Guided Bus Tours Departures||Walking Tours||Trek Through Time||Stegosaurus Snack Shack|
|Memorial Day to Labor Day||9:30am-4pm, every 20 minutes||9:30am start, Fri/Sat|
10:30am start, Sun
|Labor Day to Memorial Day||9:30am-3pm, one per hour|
|May through October||9am-5pm, Monday-Saturday|
|November through April||9am-4pm, Monday-Saturday|
|Approximately June 1 to August 15||10am-3pm|
How do I get on a public bus tour?
Purchase a bus ticket at our Main Visitor Center gift shop or outside sales stand. Then find your way to our bus stop 15 minutes before the departure time stated on your ticket. If you miss your scheduled departure, return to the gift shop to receive a new time.
To be guaranteed a seat on a Guided Bus tour, you should arrive no later than 3:30 pm (summer) and 2:30 pm (winter). On rare occasions, the 3:30/2:30 pm deadline may be changed without notice due to extreme weather or other unusual circumstances.
Can my whole group ride the same bus?
We currently offer a variety of guided tour bus options. To guarantee your group is together, consider reserving a scheduled group tour.
Can I walk?
If you decide to walk the Dinosaur Ridge Trail from the Dinosaur Bone Site back to the Visitor Center, (about a 1.5-mile hike that’s mostly downhill), your driver can give you information on the trip to the Bone Site and can get you started on your hike by pointing out the Dinosaur Bones and Brontosaur Bulges before you continue on your own.
Can I take a self-guided tour?
Yes, self-guided visitation is a popular way for families and small groups to explore the features at Dinosaur Ridge and Triceratops Trail. We also offer a Guided Audio Tour that is $6 per download. Admission to the Dinosaur Ridge Trail, Triceratops Trail (located in Golden, CO), and the Main Visitor Center Gift Shop is free of charge. The Guided Bus Tour and Trek Through Time Exhibit Hall require a paid ticket. There are more than fifteen interpretive sites on Dinosaur Ridge Trail and six interpretive sites along Triceratops Trail that you may visit.
If you are bringing a group of 15 or fewer for a self-guided tour, you do not need to notify us ahead of time. For larger groups, please notify us of your plans to visit at least one week in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dinosaur Ridge and Triceratops Trail are open from sun-up to sun-down. Stop in to our Main Visitor Center Gift Shop or the Discovery Center to pick up a free map for your self-guided walking tour. Review our hours of operation or read more about Dinosaur Ridge Trail and Triceratops Trail. For self-guided tours of Dinosaur Ridge, please park at the main Visitor Center located at 16831 W. Alameda Parkway, Morrison, CO, 80465, unless you are instructed otherwise.
|WALKING DISTANCES AT DINOSUAR RIDGE|
|Distance from Main Visitor Center Gift Shop (rounded to nearest .1 mile)||Distance from Main Visitor Center Gift Shop (rounded to nearest 0.1 km)||Distance from East Gate [Entrance to closed section of Alameda Pkwy] (rounded to nearest .1 mile)||Distance from East Gate [Entrance to closed section of Alameda Pkwy] (rounded to nearest 0.1 km)|
|VC Gift Shop Building||0||0||-0.03||-0.4|
|Exit to Alameda||0.1||0.1||-0.1||-0.1|
|DC Gift Shop Building||1.5||2.5||1.3||2|